Welcome. This is the place where pictures and a narrative of the ongoing voyages of Minerva will show up, whenever I get internet access and of course, when I have something new and hopefully exciting to share. Hope you enjoy yourself here, and don't be shy, please comment if you have something to share or say!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Corona Del Mar

I'm still anchored outside the Newport Beach breakwater in front of the Corona Del Mar public beach waiting for paint to dry.  I picked up 300 ft of brand new 3/8" G4 galvanized chain to replace my rusting, short, and light weight anchor rode.  After too many sleepless nights at anchor in deep water at the islands, I promised to get it done ASAP.  After searching the internet and several local chandleries along the southern California coast, Minney's Surplus Yacht Supply gave me the best bargain by a long shot.  Minney's, for those who somehow haven't heard of them, carries just about anything a boat could need and at a very reasonable price.  Since I no longer have a vehicle to get 450 lbs of chain from Costa Mesa to the water's edge, Ernie Minney loaded into his Suburban and brought it to me at the local dock!  I tried to buy him and the guy helping him lunch for their generous efforts, but he asked only that I "sing the praises of Minney's".  I've been doing that ever since the first day of browsing the chandlery with the easy going and very helpful staff.  Now I won't be able to do anything but rave further!  Back to paint drying - once I got the chain on board, I wanted to mark the chain at incremental depths to know how much rode was out, so got that done yesterday and am now awaiting it to dry thoroughly before using it.  With light winds forecast for the next couple of days, I just may apply a second coat as well.
I know that this may not sound very exciting to some, but sleeping comfortably knowing your home has a better chance of not ending up on the beach is quite exciting to me!  I now have so much chain on board that Minerva is listing a bit to starboard, but one never knows when it will come in handy.  One friend had so little chain for his anchor that I parted with one section to help, just a bit of repayment for all of the help and stuff others have given me in the past.
From here, we are headed north once again to LA and to Catalina - I know, Catalina again?  What can I say, that island is truly a fabulous place to spend some time.  I've been following a blog from some friends from Richmond who are now in Puerto Vallarta enjoying the heat and tropical paradise that Mexico is.  I am of course quite jealous, but wish them all the best! (Gone Bambu)
That's all for now folks, Asta la luego.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! Go to Yelp and post a positive note about Minny's.

    ReplyDelete